Due to the extremely dry conditions and potential fire hazards, ordinances have been put in place restricting the use of fireworks, open fires and certain ammunition.
Park City Municipal Corporation, Summit County and Park City Fire District have enacted emergency ordinances prohibiting the discharge of fireworks and all open fires to reduce the risk of wildfire for the 2014 fire season.
Any and all class “C” fireworks. These include:
- Firecracker, cannon cracker, salute, cherry bomb or other similar explosive.
- Bottle rocket, skyrocket or any other device that that uses combustible or explosive material.
- Roman candle or other device that discharges balls of fire.
- Tube or cone aerial firework that propels comets, shells, salutes, flash shells, or similar devices.
- Chaser, whistler or similar device.
All open fires. A fire must be in a receptacle or structure specifically designed to contain the fire and prevent its spread. No open fires are allowed within the Park City limits!
The firing of the following ammunition is strongly discouraged: steel jacketed bullets, incendiary bullets, and tracer bullets. At this time 20 wildfires across the state of Utah were started by the use of these types of ammunition. The firing of ammunition is illegal within Park City limits.
In addition, smoking materials are to be used within the confines of a vehicle within any urban wildland interface area and all waste from the ignition or smoking of said products be disposed of in a safe and appropriate manner.
Violations of this ordinance are deemed a class B misdemeanor and can result in fines and potential jail time.