Halloween Safety Tips:
- Purchase only costumes, wigs and props labeled flame-resistant or flame-retardant. When creating a costume, choose materials that will not easily ignite if it comes in contact with heat or flame.
- Use flashlights or glow sticks as alternatives to candles or incandescent lights when decorating walkways or yards. They are much safer for trick-or-treaters whose costumes may brush against the decoration.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations ensuring nothing blocks escape routes from the home.
- Instruct children to stay away from open flames or other heat sources. Be sure children know how to stop, drop and roll in the event their clothing catches on fire. (Stop immediately, drop to the ground, covering your face with your hands, roll over and over to extinguish the flames).
- When decorating inside the home, consider using battery operated candles instead of burning regular candles to help eliminate the potential of a fire occurring.
- Do not overload electrical outlets and extension cords. Excessive use of extension cords may cause overheating and also become trip hazards.
- Replace frayed, cracked or otherwise damaged electrical cords.
- Limit use of extension cords and don’t overload electrical circuits.